Matakana Coast Wine Country is a place where the “good things in life”
are found in abundance.
Take a walk along the wide sandy beaches and enjoy the beautiful Pacific Ocean.
Lie on the dunes and watch the stars come out. Marvel at the night sky.
The Matakana Coast is home to a number of nationally & internationally recognised
artists. They create a diverse range of fine art & crafts, many of which
are available from the artist’s home studio, gallery or workshop.
Gallop on horseback through tracts of pristine native bush and along white sandy
beaches. Spy on schools of blue mao mao and giant snapper from the comfort of
a glass-bottomed boat, or pick up your snorkel and join them! Play 18 holes on
a superb championship golf course, or grab your fishing rod and head for the
rocks. Alternatively boat charters are available.
Local Activities include:
- Matakana Farmers’ Market & Country Park Market on Saturdays
- Numerous golf courses, from local country courses to international standard
- Tennis courts
- Bush, beach and hill-range walking treks
- Surfing at the fabulous Pakiri and Tawharanui beaches
- A variety of family safe beaches
- Artists in Residence
- Fishing, including deep sea fishing
- Vineyard and wine tours, including the Matakana Coast Wine Trail
- Goat Island Marine Reserve, which also offer diving and/or a day on the glass
- Several cottage industries offering local produce and products
- Visits and tours of local and organic farms
- Farm and Kauri Parks and Museums
- Excellent choice of quality cafes, restaurants and bars
- Famous Mail Boat cruises to Kawau Island and Mansion House
- Kayaking and canoeing at Puhoi
- Morris and James Pottery (www.morrisandjames.co.nz)
- Horse riding at beautiful Pakiri Beach